A vegetarian diet means having no meat element in our daily meal. The popularity of vegetarianism has increased manifold in recent years because it reduces the risk of chronic diseases and will help in losing weight. Vegetarian food is lower in fat, calories, and protein as compared to animal foods. It typically focuses on foods that are rich in fiber like fruits, vegetables, nuts, or seeds. It is also linked to a reduced risk of heart diseases because of nutrient-rich foods.
It can be subdivided into four more categories:
- Avoiding all animal products like meat, fish, poultry, milk, eggs, cheese, and any other dairy products are called a vegan diet. To meet the protein needs, it relies on only plant proteins.
- Lactovegetarian diet is the one in which we have to exclude meat, fish, eggs, and poultry out of our daily routine, but it can include dairy products as a source of protein.
- A vegetarian diet that includes avoiding meat, fish, and poultry is called Lacto-Ovo vegetarian. Proteins are provided through dairy products and eggs in this plan.
- Ovo-vegetarian is the one that excludes dairy, fish, meat, and poultry but allows eggs.
Vegetarianism is an effective way to lose or gain weight. It totally depends on the type of food you eat, whether you will be gaining or losing weight.
Vegetarian diet plan for weight loss:
You can lose weight and gain muscles by only eating vegetarian foods. To gain muscles and lose weight, opting only vegetarian food following tips are useful:
- Try eating Non-starchy vegetables like mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, leafy greens, and cauliflower. These vegetables can decrease calorie intake, helping to reduce weight.
- Eat as much protein as possible at every meal by eating vegetarian foods like beans, seeds, eggs, soy food, dairy products, nuts, and lentils. These foods have a relatively higher proportion of proteins.
- Avoid eating high-calorie foods, so that you do not overeat.
- Eat whole foods mostly such as whole fruits and vegetables and other unprocessed foods, which do not have any unnecessary ingredients.
There is a variety of vegetarian foods that may help in weight loss. Starchy vegetables like corn, potatoes, winter squash, and peas. Non-starchy vegetables helping in weight loss can be carrots, cucumber, mushrooms, broccoli, celery, tomatoes, and many others. Eating brown rice, bulgur wheat, millet, farro will also aid the weight loss plan lying in the category of whole grains. Berries, grapes, mango, apples, bananas, citrus and oranges are the fruits helpful in losing weight. Lean products like beans, seeds, nuts, milk and soy product, Healthy fats like avocado, coconut, and olive oil and nuts like almonds, walnuts, and chia seeds. These foods named can also help you to lose weight.
Along with the foods mentioned earlier, several foods need to be avoided to lose weight. Avoid eating veggie burgers, frozen desserts, and meat replacements because these are highly processed. Refined carbs, including crackers, white bread, and bagels, should also be avoided to help the cause of losing weight. Avoid eating and drinking sugary foods and beverages to lose weight.
Recommended for you: Best 10 week home gym workout plan for Beginners
Can you build muscle on a vegetarian diet?
A vegetarian diet can also help gain weight and building muscles. For gaining weight and building muscles, your focus should be on a high protein vegetarian diet. You must follow a well planned vegetarian diet plan that will help overcome the energy needs and amount of protein needed. For gaining weight or building muscles, protein is the most crucial factor. Diet should be such that it can provide you with all the nutrients, proteins, and vitamins your body needs. Building muscles having vegetarian food is no different than a meat-filled diet. For building muscles, you just have to eat a little more calories than you burn for a day, no matter what eating style you follow.
Try to follow a diet plan, which is protein-filled. Many foods can increase protein intakes, like rice and beans, provide a complete protein source. Grains like quinoa will give you the required protein but will also be high in carbs. Nuts will also have a high level of fats along with the necessary protein. So, you have to choose the diet plan keeping all these factors in mind. Like, 3 oz. of tempeh and 1 cup of edamame can give you the same amount of 16g of protein.
Three tablespoons of hemp hearts will be providing you 10g of proteins, 1 cup of spelled will provide 10g protein, and we have to take 15g of protein by having 6 oz. of seitan. For lower protein intake, we can have foods like beets greens, mushrooms, spinach, sweet potatoes, and asparagus.
Some tips that will helpful for building muscles and gaining weight having vegetarian foods are listed below:
- Quality carbohydrates should be taken to fuel your muscles providing half of your calories for a day.
- Try having small meals, maybe five or six times in a day that only include protein. You can also have vegetables, fruits, nuts, plenty of water, and whole grains for this purpose.
- To supply energy to muscles during workout, Fats are necessary. Some of the sources of fats are almonds, walnuts, olive oil, canola oil, and avocados.
- Try to meet your individual needs by having a dietitian nutritionist.
What vegetables have more protein than meat?
Protein is present in the most abundance in the human body after water. Protein can be provided by having different kinds of vegetables, fruits, or meat. In this section, we will discuss the vegetables which have more protein than beef.
Spinach is a significant protein provider. It is a source of folate, which is vital for reproductive health. Just one cup of spinach can provide you nearly 5 grams of proteins.
Jackfruit is nowadays used as a meat substitute in several dishes. 3g of protein can be taken by having only a cup of it.
100g of hummus is a source of 8g of proteins. Hemp seed provides 31g of protein for every 100g, which is equivalent to 85g of beef and vegetable like organic tempeh provide you with 20g of protein for every 100g of it.